One of the best pieces of advice that I received from my mom friends was to select a back pack diaper bag when registering for my daughter. It made sense. Your hands are typically full holding the car seat or child so the backpack option meant one less thing to have at your side.
Day to day the back pack is our go to diaper bag but do use a messenger style bag for daycare. I know you’re thinking, “But Kellie, I thought you’re all about saving money so why have two diaper bags?” Because we were able to get such a great price of both bags we can justify having two diaper bags. It also allows us to keep A’s “nice” items in the backpack without risking losing them in her bag for school. Carrying her into daycare along with the messenger bag and sometimes a package of diapers can be a logistical nightmare.
So what to look for in a diaper bag? IMO:
- Multiple sections with zippers to keep everything organized and separate. Some bags only have one large pocket and like any purse, it becomes a hot mess to keep things organized.
- Side pockets to quickly access items. Personally, I keep my keys and cell phone in the side pockets for easy access when I’m on the go.
- Stroller clips to keep the bag in front of you while using your stroller.
- Top bag handle for easy grab and go convenience.
- Durable material that can be wiped/cleaned during those inevitable spills and messes.
Bonus points for style. Personally we went with a general neutral color that can be used for years to come and my husband would feel comfortable carrying.
Diaper bags will be one of the most used pieces of baby gear that you will use so make sure you pick something that you love. A few ways to save on the cost of a diaper bag:
- Add your ideal bag on your gift registry.
- Look for sales on the main site for your ideal bags manufacturer, like Skip Hop.
- Resellers like Amazon, Zulily, Target and Buy Buy Baby (be sure to use your Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons at BBB).
- Consignment sales, Facebook marketplace and yard sales. A lot of bags look great and still have a lot of years of life yet.
We love our Skip Hop Forma Diaper Backpack and it has held up great over the past year. What other diaper bags do you love?